Foundation Apprenticeships are changing the way young people learn!
Lasting for two years, they are available to pupils moving into fifth year and are taken alongside their other school subjects like National 5s or Highers as one of their subject choices.
Young people working towards a Foundation Apprenticeship gain knowledge, skills and hands-on industry experience at college and with a local employer. It is an industry-recognised qualification, approved by SQA and set at SCQF level 6 – the same level of learning as a Higher.
Why should a young person choose a Foundation Apprenticeship?
Foundation Apprenticeships are a great way for young people to broaden their options and get a taste of their potential career before they’ve left school. With a Foundation Apprenticeship, when the pupil leaves school they will have developed the knowledge, skills and experience to:
- have the option to apply for accelerated entry to a Modern Apprenticeship or entry onto a Graduate Level Apprenticeship;
- progress through a college pathway to HNC / HND level and beyond;
- make their application and personal statement for college or university stand out from the crowd; or
- develop useful industry contacts and improve their job prospects after leaving school.
Foundation Apprenticeships 2016/17
Since they were first launched in 2014 Foundation Apprenticeships have been specifically developed in close consultation with employers to address skills gaps in key growth sectors. In 2017/18 Foundation Apprenticeships will be delivered by NESCol in the following industry areas and according to the timetable information below:
- Business Skills;
- Creative and Digital Media;
- Hardware and System Support;
- Laboratory Skills;
- Social Services and Healthcare;
- Social Services: Children and Young People
All Foundation Apprenticeship courses are open to pupils from all schools across Aberdeen City and Shire.
- Applications are welcome from pupils currently in S4 working towards N5 qualifications, who expect to commit to a further 2 years at school.
- Applicants should be able to work at SCQF Level 6
- Applications are by paper application form available through our web pages – closing date Friday 24th March
- An open information evening for pupils and parents will be held at Aberdeen City Campus at 6.30pm on Tuesday 7th March and at Fraserburgh Campus at 6.30pm on Thursday 9th School staff are also welcome to attend these events for more information.
- It is helpful for pupils to plan ahead to the course options they may consider in S6 to support a further 2 years of Senior Phase in school
- Studying related Highers alongside the FA, such as Higher Business Management, Higher Computing, Higher Engineering Science is encouraged.
- It is essential to study Higher Maths alongside the Engineering FA
- Individual entry requirements and course descriptors are available via the School Links web pages at:
- Application forms are available via the School Links web pages at:
- Insight Tariff points have been allocated to each individual framework
A recent article published in The Sun can be viewed here.